Abdominal pain, or stomach pain, must be evaluated by a doctor in order to determine the precise diagnosis and reason for the pain as well as the treatment required. While stomach pain has many potential causes, it could be a symptom of a more serious condition. A gastroenterologist can thoroughly investigate abdominal pain in order to understand and treat the cause.
There is a long list of potential causes for abdominal pain. Some of those causes include:
• Crohn’s disease
• Excessive gas
• Gallstones or gallbladder issues
• Gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD
• Irritable bowel syndrome
• Kidney disease
• Lactose intolerance or other food allergy or intolerance
• Liver disease
• Ovarian, colon or lymphatic cancer
• Stomach lining inflammation
• Stomach ulcer
• Ulcerative colitis, or inflammatory bowel disease
The determination of the cause of your pain can be related to its location. In addition, the strength or intensity of the pain can also help to point to the correct diagnosis. Additional symptoms can also point a gastroenterologist to the source of your pain and the relevant treatment.